2020 Credit Union College Scholarship Program
Better Values – Better Banking is now sponsoring a new initiative for CCUA-member credit unions -- The Credit Union College Scholarship Program.
The Credit Union College Scholarship Program, an initiative of the Better Values - Better Banking campaign, is designed to support efforts of CCUA member credit unions in recognizing the outstanding talents of college-bound students, who themselves, their parents or guardians are members of a sponsoring credit union.
This year (2020), The Credit Union College Scholarship Program will award a total of fifteen (15) $1,500 scholarships, distributing them accordingly: Delaware Credit Unions (3), Massachusetts Credit Unions (6), New Hampshire Credit Unions (3) and the Credit Unions of Rhode Island (3). In Massachusetts, one scholarship will be awarded per chapter.
The program got off to an early start this year in Massachusetts. For information and guidelines specific to this year's Credit Union Scholarship Program in the State of Massachusetts, CLICK HERE.
The following Credit Union College Scholarship Program guidelines and resources are provided for credit unions located in the States of Delaware, New Hampshire and Rhode Island.
Eligibility Requirements for Participation:
- Eligibility is limited to high school seniors who will be enrolled in an undergraduate college/university degree program during the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Applicant or parent/guardian must be a member of the sponsoring credit union.
- The credit union must be a member in good standing with the Cooperative Credit Union Association, Inc.
- Each applicant must complete a current Scholarship Application and submit it with the other required material to the sponsoring credit union.
Students must submit the following items with their completed applications. All items requested must be received for the application to qualify for consideration.
- Completed printed Application.
- An academic transcript of grades.
- A typewritten essay of at least 250 words describing what career you wish to pursue when you complete your education and why.
- A detailed list of extracurricular/community and/or volunteer activities.
Participating Credit Union Requirements:
- Credit unions wishing to participate will need to promote the scholarship program among its membership, adhere to the instructions as listed on the Instruction Sheet for Credit Unions, review and select its top 3 applicants, meet all deadlines, and be a member in good standing with the Cooperative Credit Union Association, Inc.
- Each credit union is to select its top 3 applications and forward them to each state’s appropriate scholarship representative or chapter president (as noted below).
- A Rating Sheet showing the evaluation criteria and their relative weights should be used for this process (See forms below.)
- The top 3 applications must be accompanied by a cover letter from the sponsoring credit union CEO verifying that each applicant and/or parent/guardian is a credit union member.
Each state will select its scholarship winners by evaluating each applicant on the same criteria - grades; essay and extracurricular/community activities. (A Rating Sheet showing the evaluation criteria and their relative weights will be used in this evaluation process.)
Instruction Sheet for Credit Unions: CLICK HERE to download a copy of the Instructions for Credit Unions.
Deadlines: Sponsoring credit unions should plan to receive scholarship applications from their student members no later than Friday, July 17, and submit their top three applications to their state’s appropriate scholarship representative or chapter president no later than Friday, July 31. For a list of state scholarship representatives and their mailing addresses, CLICK HERE. EACH STATE’S SCHOLARSHIP REPRESENTATIVE OR CHAPTER PRESIDENT MUST SUBMIT THEIR WINNERS TO CCUA BY FRIDAY, AUGUST 14, 2020, BY EMAIL TO firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Forms: (Click on the form to download and print.)
2020 Scholarship Winners
Cameron Noval, Priority Plus FCU
Rachel Wang, DEXSTA FCU
Annaya Osinuga, American Spirit FCU